MCC Gaming Club

A Club where gamers of all kinds can gather to learn, play, and have fun

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Muskegon Community College Gaming Club forums.

Share | 

Expo Events

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anime_Otaku

PostSubject: Expo Events   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:12 pm

This is more of a side-event but when Starknight mentioned his shoot people with nerf darts idea durring the meeting yesterday I tried to think of an alternative and I remembered what a person did at Jafax 15 which was a form of hide-and-seek. What the girl did was she bought a bunch of pockys (chocolate covered pretzls), put a code phrase on the forums that a person looking for her would give her if she was ever found and then she would hand out a pocky. I'm not trying to knock your idea of the nerf thing Stark but you sounded kinda' skeptical of the idea if we did it at the college especially if classes were in session so I tried to think of an alternative and remembered this.
Now that I think of it, that other guy who mentioned the lazer tag... If we got a big enough room, set up some obstacles and got enough nerf guns... that could get fun...

Another thing they tried at Jafax... can't believe I'm gonna say this... a dating game.
Now before sombody whacks me with a shoe, the one at Jafax was a huge sucess sepecially since Jafax 15 was the first time they tried it. I never saw it myself because I never found the room they did it in but from what I got on their forums, the host of the game would just grab people in the audience and put them on stage and give them cards with questions on them. Some of the "contestents" who were cosplaying at the time even went so far as to answer the questions as if the person they dressed up as would answer. As a safety thing they had to do, they requested people to be 18 before being dragged to the stage in the hopes to avoid angering parents of the younger crowd. I don't know how this could go for our gaming expo but from what I read on the Jafax forums, this was a huge hit and they plan on doing it for future events.

*looks back at brick wall of text* How can I be this wired at 1:30 in the morning?

Last edited by Anime_Otaku on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More ideas)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: Expo Events   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:50 pm

*whacks you with a shoe*

Dating games? I'd smack you, but that's actually a good idea.

You gotta remember when we'd be doing this expo. We would be doing this on a weekend, and during the summer semester, there are almost no classes on Friday. We wouldnt have to worry that much about disturbing classes.

I actually think I know of a room big enough for lazer tag. I think there's a nice big room right across from the room we meet in each week.... people would probably be studying in the College Success Center, even on Friday, so that's not an option. And Student Union has too much potential to dedicate to one game....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_Final_Forum/index/
Anime_Otaku

PostSubject: Re: Expo Events   Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:34 pm

*gets up with a fresh shoe print on my face*

I know that this event would be in the summer. Jafax is the weekend after fathers day at GVSU and last year I still had 2 weeks of summer classes to go when I went. I would have gone to both days of Jafax but I still had exams to study for so I had to sacrifice sunday for the sake of study. Jafax is actually vary similar to what we are trying to do at MCC: created by a single person who was huge fan of anime, hosted at his college to help reduce costs, called in local vendors willing to show up, hosted events including anime showings, manga sales, a few game rooms and a bunch of other stuff. The only difference is that Jafax has been going for 15 years now (12 at GVSU), draws a crowd of well over 3000 people and only growing with each event and it still doesn't use the entire campus for the 2 day event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: Expo Events   Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:49 pm

We're not talking about taking over the entire campus. As I said, the College Success Center is probably off-limits to allow students a place to study. The Tutoring Center, Information Commons, Library, and OSE lab are also rooms we would not be able to use for the same reason. We couldn't use any room that isn't plausible for people to be coming and going of their own free will, and/or would disrupt academic affairs.

But we have to consider what rooms would be best for what activities, because, if MCC is going to support the Expo, we would need to know how much space to request for events. We don't have the amount of space GVSU has, and the college campus has a strange layout. We have to be careful how much we ask from the college. If we keep the expo cost-effective yet beneficial for the College, the more they will be willing to contribute.
Back to top Go down
X52495the2nd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Expo Events   Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:46 pm

We're planning on doing this during spring right? I know it might be an out-of-the-ordinary thing to suggest, but if we were worried about what rooms we could use, perhaps trying to host the Expo during Spring Break would make it easier on everyone? Feel free to shoot this idea down Very Happy I only suggest it because I know that the campus would be empty during those days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/Mitch.Piotrowski.1
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: Expo Events   Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 pm

MCC's 'spring break' is the beginning of March. That would give us only than four and a half months to get ready.

If you mean the week between winter and summer classes, well, I don't think that's a good idea either. That's when students will be leaving, either on vacation (like me) or moving away entirely.

But yes, sometime in the spring. As soon as summer starts, we'd have to compete with Summer Celebration and things like that- and we'd lose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Expo Events   

Back to top Go down

Expo Events
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1