MCC Gaming Club

A Club where gamers of all kinds can gather to learn, play, and have fun

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Muskegon Community College Gaming Club forums.

Share | 

The Gaming Expo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pirateseatatarrrbys

PostSubject: The Gaming Expo   Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:59 am

We discussed at the last club meeting about trying to get together a gaming expo or convention, whatever you call it. Please post your thoughts here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pirateseatatarrrbys

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:03 am

I for one think that the convention would be an awesome thing to experience, working, playing, shopping, interacting, all of it sounds great. I vote we should try and get this thing rocking! Mmmmhmmm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:24 am

I was just about to post a topic about this myself.... thanks for the support... but I do not want to lead everyone on to the misconception that this will be easy.

So, here are the facts so far:

Yes, some crazier-than-normal guy (me) brought up the idea of, as a club, hosting a regional gaming convention this spring at the first meeting two weeks ago. Sounds cool, huh?

Yeah, I thought so. People at the meeting seemed to think so, at least. But, we have a lot of work ahead of us.

Well, first, before we even start planning, we would need to get a good amount of people interested in helping AND verify if we can afford to host a convention.

Personnel-wise, for an initial planning stage, we would need about 8-12 people. After that, we would need more like 40-50 people to finalize the plans, help recruit vendors, set up the convention floor, sell tickets, and all the odd jobs that would need to be taken care of during the convention. And those jobs would have shifts, too, so just a dozen or two people would not be enough.

Another thing is money. This wouldn't be without cost. We would need a lot of money to pay for all the things associated with hosting a convention.... such as a venue and such. If we do this through MCC, I believe we can get the college to help us by matching what we have made from club dues and such. Another way would be to acquire some sponsors. If we could get some big sponsors, such as Microsoft or Nintendo, that would be a huge boost.

But if we're going to do this, we need to move quickly. This project will take a LOT of time to bring to realization. We're looking at dozens of hours spent planning, recruiting sponsors, etc., and then comes the actual convention itself, which would likely take up an entire weekend. If we're going to go ahead with this, we need to know before the end of the new month so we leave ourselves enough time to set this up properly.

I must (again) say that this will NOT be easy. I sure can't do this alone. So, thoughts? Ideas?

And most importantly........ who's in!?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_Final_Forum/index/
Mech__Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:41 am

Hmm, I'm in but this is a very huge undertaking. Hopefully others will sign up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anime_Otaku

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:05 pm

This sounds like a great Idea. I'd be glad to help in any way possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timaaagh
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:57 pm

I wouldnt mind helping
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mccgamingclub.forumsmotion.com
shyrad

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:51 pm

I would be game fo helping. I think this is a great idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm totally willing to help out in whatever way I can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vordrenoth

PostSubject: can has help?   Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:23 am

I basically exist to help out with anything you guys want to partake in, so sign me up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X52495the2nd
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:52 pm

I'd be willing to help out any way I could Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/Mitch.Piotrowski.1
Starknight

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:28 pm

I talked to some friends of mine over the weekend (the organizers of Youmacon and The World Steampunk Expo) and they are willing to help us get this going as well. They've no all the rough spots we'd need to watch out for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:03 pm

That's great! It's nice to see this much support in only a week.

I will try and bring this up at the next meeting if our President doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Vordrenoth

PostSubject: We shall see   Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 am

Well, let's hope he does. He can be an idiot at times and forgets things a lot...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:25 pm

I tend to have to remind everyone of stuff alot.... i dunno if it's just cause they are forgetful or if it's because my memory is awesome.

...well, it can't be the latter because I suck at remembering names. <_<
Back to top Go down
Starknight

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:55 pm

So Chris suggested I post some of the ideas that were brought up at today's meeting.

The first thing I suggested was that we form a Committee to over see the initial stages of an Expo.
    I also brought up having a Guest of Honor, someone from the Gaming Industry (any genre, but the bigger the name the better the draw) and a local Guest of Honor (someone from West Michigan who represents the ideals of the Gaming Club).

We could have rooms dedicated to various games; one for board games, one for Magic, the Gathering, one for Warhammer 40k or

Fantasy Battle, Battletech, D&D, video games, PC Games, or, whatever else we think would draw a crowd.

If we are able to use the College as the site, we would have great parking, and an amazing venue.

We would have to look at refreshments, either having some sort of food ourselves or making arrangements for the cafeteria to be open (this of course would require us to make sure we are on top of things with the college).

We could look for sponsors or advertisers from local businesses.

We would could talk to local hotels to see if one is willing to make a deal for block reservations for people coming from out of town.

We might even want to consider some sort of shuttle service for those at a hotel.

Contacting the Muskegon Chamber of Commerce to see if there is any help from them as we would be looking to draw people from out of town.

We need to contact vendors and see what type we could draw to the Expo. I know a few from Ren Faire who are interested. The lower we can keep the costs for Vendor tables the more vendors we can drawn.

Contact gaming companies to see if they are interested in a booth.

Having the MCC video crews record everything. We might even contact G4 to see if they would air the footage.

This is just a start of what could and needs to be done. But it's a start. I know there are other ideas out there, let's here them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AlphaSphynX

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:23 pm

Yeah I'm a bit late to the game as I've been busy recently. But of course, I'm always in for promoting game-related activities! I'm willing to help in some way as well. Let's get this Expo going! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/nikki.schumaker
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:02 pm

All very good ideas. Though our thoughts differ on Committee sizes (you were thinking three, I was thinking ten..... is five/six a good middle ground?), I must admit that we're lucky to have some people who (mostly?) know what they're doing. I will try my best to not fall too far behind on coming up with ideas....
Back to top Go down
Starknight

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Cpt._Michael_Kurenai wrote:
All very good ideas. Though our thoughts differ on Committee sizes (you were thinking three, I was thinking ten..... is five/six a good middle ground?), I must admit that we're lucky to have some people who (mostly?) know what they're doing. I will try my best to not fall too far behind on coming up with ideas....

From my experience a large committee gets bogged down by too many people.

A good way to structure this would be to create an Game Expo Committee that would report to the President of the Club.

The GEC would then have the ability to create subcommittees to handle the various needs that would arise, such as:

Advertising
Artists
Dealers
Gaming
Guest Relations
Live Programming
Press
Production
Registration
Volunteering

Granted this isn't everything that would be needed and some of these could be combined into a bigger group. But this way these smaller committees have one focal point to worry about and won't get bogged down by other affairs. And there is nothing wrong with someone sitting on multiple committees.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:19 pm

Good point. I was just thinking that since we have so many people in the club, we would benefit from having more than two-three voices in the main planning committee (which, considering it would be overseeing several other committees, might need one or two extra bodies.)
Back to top Go down
Starknight

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:01 pm

Chris,

Do you think that the Game Expo warrants it's own Section on this Forum? I think it might be a good idea. If you agree can you make that happen?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 pm

And so it was.

I know I had to leave the meeting before it was concluded yesterday... anything I miss?
Back to top Go down
Phoenix52

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:27 pm

I don't know if you forgot to jot this down or not but someone suggested a raffle. If we were to get some awesome prizes and then make it so you could only get the tickets by making a purchase of a certain size do you think that we would be able to make any decent money from that? Do we even want a raffle or would it be more profitable for people to just buy the tickets?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt._Michael_Kurenai

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:37 am

That idea came up at Wednesday's meeting, for which the general list of ideas have not been put up on the boards yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gaming Expo   

Back to top Go down

The Gaming Expo
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1